I'm simply going to refer to the computing hardware and associated network that arises out of this project as the "CANDO cluster", which is part of our CompBio cluster. Yes, I like saying and typing CANDO.
Scientific and philosophical details of this project can be found at the CANDO web site.
These hosts will be integrated into fp ecosystem. Special allowances will need to be made because these will be running Ubuntu, instead of redhat.
This purchase will add 144 cores, ~300GB of RAM and 48TB of storage to our environment.
Six of the following 1U servers:
- 2x12 core AMD Opteron 6176
- 48GB Ram
- 4x2TB SATA HD
This project is complete.
- 2010-12-20 configuration details agreed upon and implemented. cluster is ready for use.
- 2010-12-19 hardware installation complete of all six nodes
- 2010-12-18 cd based installed working, but not push button. post install requires manual formatting of disk, as debian's partition manager is limited, and copying configuration files into /etc
- 2010-12-13 rack mounted four or the six servers, remaining two to be delivered later this week.
- 2010-10-22 Settled on ubuntu 10.04 LTS as OS.
- 2010-11-20 Submitted order to purchasing.
- 2010-11-29 Sole source paperwork sent to HDNW
- network install depot